Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Ends today



April 1st of the year 2011, I applied as an English as a second language (ESL) teacher even though I had no idea how to teach English (or anything). I didn't expect that I will get accepted considering my lack of experience and no knowledge of the teaching field. But to my surprise, I was hired on the spot. I thought it was a joke because it was April 1st. But it wasn't. I started reading my old grammar books in fear of incompetence.

I applied for that job because I wanted to be exposed to Japanese and Koreans more and hoped to learn and speak their language. I'm proud to say that I did learn. I'm not fluent, but I learned. I learned quite a lot =] I'm so proud of myself hehe

I didnt only learn these new languages but I learned most importantly how important it is to communicate with people. How important it is to meet different people. I learned a lot. From young teenagers to big time CEOs. It was as if I have traveled around different countries just by talking to them.

Imagining that I have taught and influenced managers and future businessmen makes me really proud to be able to do so. Knowing I was part of their journey to their success brings much satisfaction.

But today, December 24, 2014, is the last day I would be working as an ESL teacher. Approximately 4 years of working on a field very far from what I studied in college. Did I regret? No. I am much much more thankful that I did work there. I may not have earned much, but I have learned so much more than I could. And not even money could buy that.

-V-

No comments:

Post a Comment